Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Hanging with Patrick: Pre-preschool


Summer is almost over and perhaps what we hang on our clotheslines have begun to look different. Instead of bikinis, shorts and tee shirts, maybe there is a fleece or sweats thrown in there, especially for those of us in the four seasons areas of the globe.

I'm a fan of chick flicks, one of them being the 1998 film, You've Got Mail. If you remember it's all about an e-mail relationship. In one e-mail, Tom Hanks' character, Joe, writes, "Don't you just love New York in the fall? It makes me want to buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of newly-sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address.".

Bring on the sharpened pencils and changes.

I have been an emotional wreck about this BIG transition for my 3-year-old. I know a lot of people sending their kids off to their first year of college and we are all riding emotional roller coasters. I couldn't help thinking all last week how I was missing his "last week of summer ever before school". Well, maybe I'm overreacting. It is just preschool, but it marks the end of being a baby and toddler and moving into the world of the big kids, and not being home all day any more. After crying a lot this weekend, today I'm still nostalgic, but feeling excited about the new routine. Now I just pray that all the excitement Patrick has had will pan out and he will really like school. He's never been away from us in a structured setting for more than an hour. But I have confidence they will keep him so busy and entertained that he won't even realize the time passing or that we aren't there. I know he will love it.

Without belaboring the milestone this marks I felt I wanted to do something to celebrate. I decided to take it easy and just enjoy the evening with him. After an early dinner it seemed like a good night to go out for ice cream and to the playground. So we did that. Round Top ice cream was near empty, where a week ago it was buzzing with tourists and locals. School has begun. I'm glad that summer isn't officially over for a couple more weeks and we can still make great memories in this new stage of our lives no matter the season or changes we face.

Hope your school days and fall routines are happy ones!

1 comment:

Kim of Kim & Jason said...

I hope Patrick loves his pre-school experience!!

The school year does have a different feel to it- not so many spontaneous ice cream runs.

Good for you, for making time for those moments, amidst the new routine.