Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Life Pins: Laughter


"I love to laugh
Loud and long and clear
I love to laugh
It's getting worse ev'ry year

The more I laugh
The more I fill with glee
And the more the glee
The more I'm a merrier me
It's embarrassing!
The more I'm a merrier me!"

As I mentioned before in my post, "Christmas Hassle : Then why do it?", I bought tickets to a comedy show for my family this year. How I needed to laugh, and how I did. I laughed for an hour-and-a-half, non-stop, no joke! I found out that I have severely under-worked stomach muscles. It was awesome.

Not only did I leave the show lighter, merrier, and happy, but also more determined that I'm not going so long without laughing again.

What are those stats about children laughing a certain number of times a day and adults only laugh how much? I guess it's an amazing 300 to 15. I think that's a bit high, even for my 3-year-old, and it's way too high for me, but it makes sense that they laugh more. They are less worried and more in touch with what makes them happy. Likewise, when I get out and do something childlike I usually have fun. When I get out of my own way and enjoy a sunset, the outdoors, or hit the beach I may or may not laugh, but I always feel better. And if I find something to laugh about, all the better.

The lyrics above are from a scene I love from Mary Poppins, one of my all-time favorite movies. It's when they visit the lonely Uncle Albert who is suspended in mid-air laughing hysterically. Now that's what I'm talking about. If laughter can do that then why do we need drugs, alcohol, food, sex, whatever to make us feel better? We all just need to laugh a little more to feel lighter, freer, and make life work a little easier.

Find a way to laugh. I sure need to more!

Want more? I googled children and laughter and came up with many hits.
I really liked this article from the Austin American-Statesman on parenting and laughter.

No comments: