Saturday, February 23, 2008

Life Pins: God's Promise #2


Since having a child I have really appreciated this verse:

"He will feed his flock like a shepherd;
he will gather the lambs with his arm,
and carry them in his bosom,
and gently lead those who are with young."
Isaiah 40:11

I sure have needed God to lead me in my parenting,
and often I feel I still haven't gotten it right.
I remember in the first two years having days
when I thought I was going to pull my hair out
because I didn't know what my child was fussy
about, or how I was going to get dishes, laundry,
cooking done, or have time to myself.
In those moments if I just stopped and talked to
God about it, or just said, "Help", I'd often, in my silence,
find the answer staring me in the face, or after a while
the day would be easier. Often it took just realizing that if
I put "first things first", which maybe meant just stopping everything
and focusing completely on Patrick, rocking him, feeding him,
playing with him, giving him what he needed, and then looked after
any thing else, my day would go smoother.

I need this promise just as much today, and for the future as I did then.
Because I hear this parenting thing doesn't get easier, it just gets different!

1 comment:

Goodwyf Allie said...

Sometimes I have a hard time putting "first things first" just because I want MY THING to be first. . .not someone else's (read:needy young child). Your Psalm is a reminder that if I'm leading my children like God leads me, then I will put them first. . .remembering to put my oxogyn mask on myself first of course. . I hate mixed analogies!