Thursday, March 28, 2013

Easter Pin: Waiting for Spring

We're waiting for spring. The news reported yesterday that over half the states in the Union still had snow on the ground, and it's Easter weekend. Easter is early this year, but we are a week into spring and it still looks a lot like winter in many places in the U.S.
 
Springtime bouquet
Yes, the days are longer. The sun is wonderful, and it’s welcome relief to have daylight until 7 p.m. But it’s still winter too. The first day of spring brought almost a foot of snow to Maine, and it is slow to go. The ground is not thawed, and the nighttime temperatures won’t let it yet. It is making for some nice winter-spring play for the kids. As I write they are building a fort out of the last snowplowed pile that diminishes a little each day, and it's 7 p.m.
My son is ready to play baseball. He's making the most of the snow and long days, but moans every day, "When will the snow be gone? I'm ready for baseball!" Yes, we are all.

In the northeast, spring seems to take forever to come. It never seems to come like it must elsewhere, say in Ohio or North Carolina. We get a few good 60-degree days followed by weeks of rain. Then it’s summer. It’s as if someone turns a dial from “Rainy Spring” to “Hot Summer.”

Last spring, it was unseasonably warm for the northeast, in the 70’s. We sat at the beach in short sleeves, and some brave young children ventured into the north Atlantic.

Last year on the very first day of spring, my grandmother moved out of winter into her new spring, her new life in heaven with Jesus. I just happened to have to talk to the state a matter of hours after her death concerning her nursing home application. After repeating it twice that she had indeed just deceased the poor state worker decried, “And it’s the first day of spring!” 
This spring, we’re waiting to bury Paul’s dad, who started his new year in heaven, too.
Nanny's memorial where we focused on
her life on earth and her new life in heaven.  
Me? I’m just waiting to feeling springy again. I’m tired. I want to eat and sleep. Eight hours of rest a night is not enough, nor would ten be. Depression is tiring. I do feel better than I did last summer, when it never felt like summer to me, even when it was hot and buggy. After some consults and a trip to the pharmacy I did start to feel better. That feeling has leveled off. I’ve determined that the depression is still there, but the medicine is downgrading the symptoms. I’m waiting to feel better again. Maybe it’ll take real spring warmth to jump-start me.

We are all waiting for the spring, even those who live in a two-season climate. The spring of spiritual renewal, the one that Jesus completed when he cried “It is finished!” from that cruel cross. It was finished, but we don’t have the final results yet. Spring speaks to our internal longing for an eternal home, for that home with God, where each of us belongs, whether we know it, believe it, or buy into it or not. Spring is the hope of better days, a better life without sickness, heating bills, or shoveling snow. Spring is when darkness is less, light is more prevalent. Spring points to heaven’s eternal joys, where there is no more “mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore” and where Jesus sits as the eternal life-giver and light-giver. I’m ready for that beautiful spring.

I’m waiting for spring. Are you?

Revelation 21:3-7 3And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, the dwelling placea of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people,b and God himself will be with them as their God.c 4He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, neither shall there be for the former things have passed away.” 5And he who was seated on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.” Also he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.” 6And he said to me, “It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give from the spring of the water of life without payment. 7The one who conquers will have this heritage, and I will be his God and he will be my son.
Signs of spring and reminders of new life in Jesus!
Revelation 22:5 And night will be no more. They will need no light of lamp or sun, for the Lord God will be their light, and they will reign forever and ever.

English Standard Version


No comments: