Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Maine Seasons: Owl Hunting and a Winter Walk at Ocean Point

Even though I grew up in the Midcoast, there are many parts of it that I have yet to explore or even visit once! One such place is Ocean Point, East Boothbay! I had never even heard of it until a Boothbay native friend told me how beautiful it is. The more recent attraction is the Snowy Owl that has been sited the last two weeks in the neighborhood. This is supposedly rare to see in the U.S., but the Cornell Lab "All About Birds" website seems to indicate they often come south from their breeding grounds in the Arctic this time of year. 

Ocean Point Preserve.

So on a mild 40-degree Martin Luther King Jr. Day, we went owl hunting, but we did not see her, although my friend had earlier in the morning. We did get to enjoy a lovely walk at Ocean Point preserve. The walk is less than a mile (.9) through lovely woods with a place to bird watch at the marsh and/or Tibbetts pond. Or you can do the short, short walk of .2 miles that leads straight along the pong to the marsh lookout and avoids the more narrow forest trail. It has been such a mild January that the ice only partially skimmed the pond, so no ice-skaters! One part of the woods has many blow-downs. 

No owls of any kind in the preserve, so we drove along Grimes Cove that looks out to Linekin Bay where the owl has most been seen. I was wowed by the views in this summertime community of ocean-front cottages, mostly on raised supports, not foundations. I had no idea this place existed in the Boothbay region, although it reminds me of many other ocean-front communities in southern Maine.

Looking out to Linekin Bay.
There is on-street parking along the water, which I'm sure fills up fast in the summer months. I will pack a lunch, blanket, and book and come enjoy the views again when it is warm enough to stay a while. My son said he felt like he could see forever. While there are long ocean views, there is also a great view of Southport (another ocean-front town that I only visited last summer for the first time) and the Burnt Island lighthouse. We did see many people out walking, a few toting cameras. This owl has caused a stir and a lot interest for photographers! 

I am thankful to live in this beautiful state and to be having such a mild winter in the midst of Covid-19, so that we don't have to be more housebound than usual this time of year. Get out and walk, if you can!

The Boothbay region has many more walks to enjoy! See the Boothbay Land Trust website

For more on the owl, read the linked local report.

My friend graciously allowed me to use one of her photos!

Snowy owl sits on a railing in
Ocean Point, Boothbay, January 2021.
Photo courtesy Jean Duncan.




No comments:

Favorite Beaches: Rachel Carson Salt Pond Preserve

Tucked into a quiet little cove just east of New Harbor on Route 32 is the Rachel Carson Salt Pond Preserve. What's not to love with the...