Friday, December 28, 2018

Maine Seasons: Gifts of the Seasons

A fragrant dried fruits wreath
made a beautiful gift this Christmas!
I am enjoying a rainy/snowy day at home when I don't have anyplace I have to go. What a gift. Despite the rain, I took the dog out for a ramble. The chickadees are chirping and flitting about, happy that the temperatures have risen above freezing. 

On Christmas day we had the honor of having my 90-year-old grandmother with us. My sister brought her to the home farm for 5 days so family could stop by and visit. Its been about 25 years since she's been in Maine for Christmas because my grandparents have spent many warm winters in Florida. My 96-year-old WWII vet/drill sergeant /farmer/bus driver grandfather passed in March. This winter my grandmother decided she is done with going to Florida. It is a gift to have her in Maine again for the holidays after so many years. I think my favorite part was sitting with her for a few quiet moments back in her warm cozy space at the assisted living facility.
Doggie footprints in the snow.

We've seen many friends and family over this week and all but two of our siblings and four nieces and nephews. We have my mother-in-law living with us, and she was home through the holidays this year, although she is anxious to head to warmer climes. My bouncing baby boy is not a baby any more but we now enjoy boys bouncing off the walls and bouncing balls all over the house. While it can get crazy I'm thankful for these moments that will not last forever just as my chubby-cheeked cherub did not stay that way forever either.

And speaking of babies, another gift was holding babies on Christmas eve after a beautiful time at church celebrating the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ!

Out of all the wonderful presents my family received (including a total surprise laptop so I can write whenever I want without waiting my turn!), my favorite has to be the dried fruit wreath that my sister-in-law and her daughter made. Its absolutely beautiful, and I love it hanging on the door in my kitchen.

I hope that you can stop and enjoy the gifts of the season before the busyness of the new year is upon you!


No comments:

Favorite Beaches: Rachel Carson Salt Pond Preserve

Tucked into a quiet little cove just east of New Harbor on Route 32 is the Rachel Carson Salt Pond Preserve. What's not to love with the...