Monday, October 2, 2017

On My Shelf: I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith

I Capture the CastleI Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This old title was a very good read! The end was underwhelming, and doesn't really go anywhere, but the characters were intriguing, and the writing is straight-forward storytelling, no jumping between characters and times and places, that I think is getting very old in contemporary writing. I think this book could have been a part of a trilogy if it had been written today. I recommend this book to teen girls and women who love old fashion romance-type stories reminiscent of 18th- and 19th-century British literature, and yet it doesn't really turn into a Jane Eyre type of love story at all. It is a coming- of-age-book, and nothing too exciting happens, but its a very easy story, delightful to read. My favorite scene is near the beginning when the main character is bathing, and two strangers come stumbling into the kitchen. Read it, if you can find it, its so much fun.

Read and reviewed 2017.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Favorite Beaches: Rachel Carson Salt Pond Preserve

Tucked into a quiet little cove just east of New Harbor on Route 32 is the Rachel Carson Salt Pond Preserve. What's not to love with the...